Pages

Friday 11 October 2013

Can we be defined so easily?

This week we learned all about the diversity of culture and class. It really made me think of my culture and how influenced I am by it. There are so many different definitions and cultures that we belong to, that maybe we didn't even know about! For example here is a list of the culture I am associated with in one way or another...

BYU-I college student
Family (my husband and I)
Family of origin
British
American
LDS

The list could really go on, but isn't it interesting to think that we belong to a lot of cultures?! To answer the question can we be defined so easily? Honesty yes, we can. Depending on the time. By this I mean we adapt and change cultures so frequently and almost effortlessly that it defines our beliefs, values, customs, and traditions throughout our life.

I'm not ashamed to say that everybody could figure out who I am from the list of cultures I have listed. I am still an individual with a personality! I believe that the reason people don't like being stereotyped is because they don't like being judged by a one particular culture they belong to. They belong to many cultures and that is what shapes and defines their personality. It is rare to have someone who shares all of the same cultures as yourself.

So the key is to have many cultures and experiences, everybody is different because everybody has different cultures. Even within your own family! It comes down to our beliefs and values as a person, not the stereotypical cultures that we are sometimes forced into.

Be your own person! Cultures are a great thing that makes us who we are and that we can change and adapt all the time. I'm grateful for this as if I couldn't change my music culture I would still be a grungy rockstar wannabe!

Yes our cultures define us, but no we don't have to be defined as that one stereotypical culture that society expects of us.

1 comment:

  1. Hey its your TA again:) Great post! Isn't it interesting how many factors influence our culture. Have you noticed a significant change from your previous personal culture and the new culture between your husband and yourself? You mentioned "stereotypical cultures that we are...forced into," what are some of these cultures? I too am grateful that our our personal cultures can change!

    ReplyDelete